Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Wimpy

I'm out of Cherry Coke. In fact, I'm out of any kind of pop besides my husband's Mountain Dew super blue beverage that I refuse to drink. Normally, being out of Cherry Coke wouldn't be a huge deal. Target is just a quick trip down the road. The thing about being out of Cherry Coke today is that it's 14 degrees outside.

I've been a stay (and work)-at-home mom now for almost a year and a half. Up to that point I had your average 9 to 5 type job which meant getting up early every day and leaving the house no matter how freezing cold or rainy or snowy it was outside. It never bothered me too much, but after all this time of working in the house, something in me has changed.

If it's below 30 degrees out, I do what I can to not have to leave the house that day. If it's rainy, I might as well just stay home. Snowing? That's kinda dangerous, I better just wait it out inside.

What is happening to me? I'm disgusted with myself. After all, I'm a Chicagoan. I've lived through some ridiculous weather. I've braved below zero temps. I've cruised down the expressway in a blizzard. I've slid around on black ice. These things didn't use to phase me. Now, I just can't deal with them. It's like I'm from Florida or something.

I like to pretend it's for Eliza's sake. I don't want her to get sick in the cold. I don't want to drive in dangerous conditions with her in the backseat. But really, it's me. Why go out in bad weather if I don't have to?

But then there's the issue of the Cherry Coke. What am I going to drink now? Water?! Is my lack of planning going to force me to leave the house in 14 degree weather? Does Peapod make emergency deliveries?

Thank heavens for my mother who just happens to keep a stash of Coke in her car, and can't resist an invitation to lunch with her granddaughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment